Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Pursuit of the Overhead Compass!

When I left South Caldwell last year and packed up all my favorite teaching supplies, I was graciously given two things...packs of Vis-a-vis overhead markers (they don't sell them here) and an overhead compass. To be honest, I was most thrilled about the markers, especially the purple ones, and when I showed the bag to the other math teachers here, there were some pretty happy people.

The overhead compass (to my surprise) has been unbelievably handy! The Geometry curriculum here is filled with constructions and investigations, so I use it almost every day. Today, though, I realized how truly wonderful a gift it was. The middle school teacher came to my room and said.."Do you happen to have an overhead compass?" To which I replied, "Sure, you're welcome to borrow it!" Then, this morning, I was practically chased through the building by the 5th grade teacher who had heard of my handy tool. He said that he had been trying to purchase one for years, and that he really wanted his kids to be able to see one.

How strange, isn't it, that an overhead compass would be such an exciting thing! And yet, I am thankful!

No comments:

<