Monday, November 20, 2006

A Return to Blogger

Hello everyone! Wow it has been an incredibly long time since I posted here. I could think of a million and one excuses, but basically, I have been busy...really busy. So, here are some highlights of the past month!



  1. A couple of weeks ago I had a quite the day! I went with another new teacher and some children she was babysitting to Budapest's circus. The best part? It's a toss up between the trained weiner dogs and the horse and elephant act.

    After that, we went to the final game of the fall season for the Budapest Wolves... What are the Budapest Wolves, you might ask? Well, they are the best American football team in Hungary. By best, I mean it was similar to watching high school football.
    (It was lots of fun, and with the leaves changing, I almost felt like I was at home.)
  2. October 23rd was 5oth anniversary of the 1956 uprising against Russian communism. It was a day full of sadness and remembrance. It's hard for me to imagine what it must be like to have gone through such a dark time. One Sunday afternoon, several of us went to see the new monument and watched a video with some historical footage. This is a picture of the monument.
  3. The biggest highlight of the past several months for me has been my trip to a Hungarian orphanage. One Saturday I had the opportunity to chaperone the high school trip to a boarding school for orphans and other underpriviledged children with disabilities about an hour outside of Budapest. We spent the day painting fingernails, playing soccer (not me, the kids), doing arts and crafts, and telling Bible stories. It was obvious that the children were starved for love and attention, and it was a huge blessing to watch my students love and minister to the children. The pics don't seem to be posting, so I'll try to do them in a different post!
  4. My birthday was last weekend! Woohoo! In honor of the special event and the birthdays of several others, we went downtown to the only Mexican American restaurant in Budapest, Iguanas. I ordered a taco salad, the first one I've had in a tortilla shell in three months. I cannot describe to you how good it tasted. Yippeee for birthdays!

No comments:

<