Monday, September 11, 2006

Passports, Visas, and Eastern Europe!




I'm back home now, sitting at school and grading papers, so thankful things worked out well this morning in Bratislava. We began our trip at 5:30 am (ok, we didn't leave until 5:45) this morning and entered the Hungarian Embassy in Slovakia a little before 9. 5 of the new teachers, the school director, and the lady that deals with International Affairs at ICSB all made a pit stop for McReggeli (breakfast at McDonald's) where I ordered a McMuffin and got some french fries...go figure. After talking to the embassy, we traveled to a nearby bank where we withdrew $ out of the atm in Slovac currency, took it to the lady at the counter who changed it into Euros and paid our application fee. We then traveled back to the embassy, handed over our passports and visa applications, and were told to come back at 3pm for the verdict...visas or no visas. By this time it was about 11, and we headed out to find lunch. We also discovered an amazing Leonardo DaVinci exhibit at the Bratislava Castle, which is now a museum. When we returned to the embassy we were told the verdict was still out, but that we would most likely get our visas. From what I understand, they are going to call the school this week and let us know. Then, if we are approved, we'll have to go back to Bratislava in about 2 weeks and get the visas. I'm really learning patience here, but I'm so thankful for the good news and that some of the $ in Slovakia is purple!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Would you believe me if I told you it was only a coincidence?

Janet said...

Don't disappoint me here, I thought it was because of all my color coordination training while shopping!

<