Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dinner Downtown and Dominique

Last night several of us took a trip to downtown, explored the touristy areas a tad, and had dinner at a Hungarian/Thai restaurant. Little did we know we would meet Dominique, a Hungarian college student who worked at the restaurant. She talked with us about American slang, the dramatic changes in Hungarian culture, and the need for us to all get Hungarian boyfriends for the sole purpose of learning the language. (Something I should have considered long ago!) Anyways, I really enjoyed getting to know her and plan on going back to see her sometime soon.

After our first full week of school, it was nice to take a break and just enjoy hanging out. Classes were great this week, and I've been reminded so many times of how much I love being in the classroom. The biggiest culture shock of the week? Sitting in a room with almost 100 high school students singing praise songs DURING THE SCHOOL DAY, encouraged to do so by the administration!!!!! How absolutely crazy...especially considering it's also a part of my job description to talk about God during class! To be honest, it's been almost hard to get used to after working in the public schools.

I've volunteered to co-lead the 9th grade girls Bible Study at school this year and we're having our first meeting on Wednesday afternoon at my apartment. Hopefully by then I will have finished covering our orange couch with some khaki fabric...huge improvement! I'm truly excited about getting involved in their lives and encouraging them in their spiritual growth. I can't wait! Please be praying that the Lord would use the time we spend together to draw us closer to Him and to sharpen each other.

Still no word on the visas or the completion of the buildings...maybe sometime soon!

1 comment:

Janet said...

What an wonderful blessing to be able to sing and share God's good news at school! You have an awesome opportunity to disciple these young people at ICSB. I'm continuing to lift up the Visa needs for you and your fellow teachers! Much love!

<