Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Visitor From Home, Computer Glitches, and a Hungarian Wedding

It's been a busy but good week around here. Sonja, one of my closest friends from college, came to visit! It was great to share my Hungarian life with a friend from my American life. We had a blast being tourists and even got the chance to spend a day in Vienna. This pic was taken at the summer palace in Vienna. Here we are on top of the Basilica in Budapest. It's one of my new favorite views of the city!
One of the more frustrating parts about my return Hungary has been computer trouble. When I was in the US a few weeks ago, my computer decided to call it quits. Thankfully, I have amazing and technologically advanced friends who helped me purchase a new one on short notice. I love it - very cute and snazzy if I do say so myself! The only problem is that after about three days in Europe, the wireless stopped working. (Sigh!) It's a good thing I've had lots of hours to spend dealing with it and even a better thing that I have an international warranty. (Yay!) Now I'm just waiting for the English speaking employee at the Toshiba place in Hungary to order a new wireless card from Germany. Let's hope this fixes my problems!

On a brighter note, my friends Meg and Gabor got married "Hungarian style" this weekend! Meg and I have been in a Bible study together for the last two and a half years; I am so thankful for her friendship. Gabor is a great Hungarian guy who helped me find an awesome car to buy last fall. I am going to miss them a ton when they move to the US next month. (And I'm going to have to find a new mechanic!)

The pic below is of the Hungarian wedding coordinator. We don't have anything quite like him in America. It's this guy's job to direct all the festivities while speaking in riddles and rhymes. He even has a stick with ribbons from each couple he's helped with wedding madness. Those of you who know me will be impressed to learn that I stayed at the reception until 1 AM! By that time I was pooped and tired of killing mosquitoes, but I'm pretty sure the party was going until about 4 - yikes!

2 comments:

Dustin & Daphne Petrey said...

LOVE IT! I hope you will hire that guy for your wedding one day...I'd love to see him do his thing!!!

I'm glad you and Sonya had a great visit - maybe one day I will make it to Europe to visit you...I'm just not too sure about that trip over the ocean!!!

Unknown said...

let us know if you do want to use the Vofej. :-)

<