Sunday, August 23, 2009

St. Istvan's Day 2009

St. Istvan's Day has become one of my favorite traditions here in Hungary. Celebrated on the 20th of August, this holiday honors St. Stephen, the first king of Hungary in 1000AD as well as the person credited with bringing Christianity to the region. (You can compare it to July 4th in the US.) Since school workdays usually begin on the day after the holiday, I like to think of it as my last summer celebration as well.

This year (YEAR 4!) was no different. We piled 5 teachers in my car and 7 more in a van and carpooled into the city after lunch to watch the Red Bull Air Race, meander through the city, and watch some awesome fireworks.

The picture below is of a few teachers and me on the banks of the river.
As we were wandering through the crowds of people, I bumped into my walking buddy Becky and her family. Becky's husband is the math teacher for our middle schoolers, and they brought their children into the city as a surprise to watch the air races. I decided I needed a picture one of my favorite little people in the ICSB community. Isn't she a cutie!The air races lasted from 2 until about 4:30, but to be honest, we only lasted until about 3! It was hot, and we have a favorite cafe that sells cold lemonade. We enjoyed our spot there for as long as possible and then transferred locations to a pizza place for dinner. It was fun to catch up with friends before the marathon we call a school year begins.
The fireworks started at 9 and were one of the best shows I have ever seen. They were shooting explosives of some kind off two bridges, a hillside, and 2o pallets in the middle of the river, and it was all choreographed to Hungarian classical music. Amazing, and totally worth it!And now begins the start of school. I'm going to dream of bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils tonight!










1 comment:

Dustin & Daphne Petrey said...

Oh I do hope you got your bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils...with a pretty ribbon wrapped all around it! Hope school is going well! Thanks for keeping up with your blog!

<